By the Barony of Cynnabar on 2016-12-10
Forward went We; | Our way was straight.
To a hall We came, | and a door there hung;
In did We fare, | on the floor was a fire:
Godaeth and Aeffe | owned the house.
There sat the twain, | and worked at their tasks:
The one mixed ink | for the scholar’s art;
Her thoughts considered, | her words were sage,
As written beauty | with pen she wrought.
The other well | the needle wielded,
At the weaving with arms | outstretched she worked;
At her side was the paint, | on her table the parchment:
She captured visions | with careful brush.
We know well | wise words to speak;
Here in the midst | of the hall We sit,
Where on either side | the others are.
In Our doubtless right | as lawful rulers,
With candid esteem | We call these persons
Shining torches | of the Tower’s Light.
Text adapted from Rígsþula (10th - 13th century?), as translated into English by Henry Adams Bellows in 1936.
For updates and corrections, please e-mail email@example.com. Include your SCA name, modern name, awards to add, and date received.