With a few exceptions during the year (NO meeting in January, July, August, and September), Cynnabar's Heralds' Nights are held on the First Monday of each month from 7:30 until 10:00 pm at the home of Dame Ursula Georges and Master Derian le Breton. For further information, check the Barony's Arts & Sciences calendar (www.cynnabar.org/moas ) or contact either the Cynnabar Pursuivant at: email@example.com or Ursula at: firstname.lastname@example.org . If you need the address and/or directions to the Heralds' Night meetings, please contact Ursula at: email@example.com or Derian at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Functions of the Office
The office of the Herald has many different areas of specialty. They are, in no particular order:
- Field Heraldry
- This is the person who makes official announcements at events and announces the names of fighters at a tournament. We are always looking for people to assist in this arena. If you will be attending an upcoming event and would like to help out, please contact the herald.
- Book Heraldry
- This includes the study of period names and devices (“coats of arms” and badges) and the SCA requirements regarding submission, registration and use of such.
- Court Heraldry
- Along with Field Heraldry, this is the most visible aspect of the Herald’s Office. The court herald is the person who plans the agenda for court and acts as the “master of ceremonies” during it – calling people forward, reading scrolls and proclamations, etc.
- Courtesy and Precedence
- The Herald’s Office is the go-to place for etiquette and assistance with recognition of different nobles and awards.
- The Order of Precedence for the Barony of Cynnabar is maintained by the Office of the Herald.
- Help with Submissions
- If you have (or don’t have) an idea that you’d like to develop into a full-fledged, registerable SCA name or device (or even if you just need help with the paperwork – the higher-ups can be retentively bureaucratic!), contact the Herald and set up a meeting! Many questions can be answered by email or phone, but sometimes sitting down with a few books can be more rewarding and infinitely more successful.
- Sumptuary Customs of the Barony of Cynnabar
- Learn when and how it is proper to display the arms of the Barony.
Standard Disclaimer: I, [Legal Name], known within the Society for Creative Anachronism as [Registered Name - so we can double-check our records], understand that by submitting my device and/or badge that I automatically give permission for the Society for Creative Anachronism to use my artwork and armory for any and all internal heraldic and scribal purposes.