This page's information is current as of 11:20 a.m. EST, Monday, July 29, 2019.
- March 30 (Saturday): Ermenrich and Kasha announce their intent to step down as Cynnabar’s Baron and Baroness.
- April 14 (Saturday): Informational meeting is held at Ermenrich and Kasha's home for interested potential candidates.
- May 1 (Wednesday): Baronial Seneschal announces that Letters of Intent are being accepted.
- May 30 (Thursday): Letters of Intent from Baronial Candidates are due to Baronial Seneschal (Master Derian le Breton).
- June 6 (Thursday): Letters of Intent from Baronial Candidates are made public.
- June 13 (Thursday), 7:00-9:00 pm: Public Question & Answer Session for members of the populace to learn about Baronial Candidates. Held at regular meeting site (Peoples Presbyterian Church, 210 Smith St, Milan, MI 48160).
- June 20 (Thursday), 7:00-9:00 pm: Additional Public Question & Answer Session at regular meeting site (Peoples Presbyterian Church, 210 Smith St, Milan, MI 48160).
- June 23 (Sunday): Polls open for baronial candidates. Members and friends of Cynnabar fill out a poll about the candidates to advise Their Majesties in Their decision. Click here for more information.
- July 14 (Sunday), 2:00-4:00 pm: Additional Public Question & Answer Session (Ypsilanti District Library Community Room, 5577 Whittaker Rd, Ypsilanti, MI 48197).
- July 20 (Saturday): Polls close.
- July 29 (Monday): It is announced that 47% of paid members living in Cynnabar ZIP codes returned a poll.
- At Their Majesties' Discretion: Their Majesties / Their Highnesses will inform Baron Ermenrich, Baroness Kasha, and the candidates of Their decision. Baron Ermenrich and Baroness Kasha will then make a public announcement.
- November 2 (Saturday): Investiture ceremony of the fifth set of Baroness(es)/Baron(s) of Cynnabar at A Grand Day of Tournaments.
- November 15 (Friday): Five-year mark from Baron Ermenrich and Baroness Kasha’s investiture.
Please Note: All dates are subject to change at the will of Their Majesties.
[Polls are now closed.]
The Crown of the Middle Kingdom wishes the widest possible counsel on matters relating to the Kingdom; thus, it is requested that all members respond to this baronial poll. All baronial members should please complete the poll located at this link. A member is defined as a person who lives within the geographic boundaries of the barony and is a paid member of the Society. Please check with your Baronial Seneschal or on the Middle Kingdom website if you are unsure of your group’s geographic area (click here). Those who are unpaid members or who live outside of the geographic area of the Barony are welcome to complete a “non-resident/non-member poll” at this link. While these polls are tallied separately, the Crown still values the opinions of all members of Their populace. Please note that your polls will be VERIFIED BY YOUR MEMBERSHIP NUMBER. Only cast one poll. Polls must be completed no later than 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, July 20, 2019. POLLS WITH INACCURATE INFORMATION OR THOSE FILED MORE THAN ONCE UNDER THE SAME MEMBERSHIP NUMBER WILL NOT BE TALLIED!
Two sets of candidates have announced their willingness to serve as Cynnabar's next territorial baroness/barons. Click on the links below to read their Letters of Intent.
Thank you for taking an interest in this process! Your active participation is very important. Their Majesties will need your guidance when selecting Cynnabar’s next Baroness(es)/Baron(s), and all of the potential candidates will need your understanding and support.
Here’s what you can do to help the process run smoothly:
Update your SCA membership with your current address.[The list of members currently living in the Barony has now been compiled.] Learn about the candidates and think carefully about their strengths and weaknesses. Please read the candidates' letters of intent. Please come to as many of the public Question & Answer sessions as you can: June 13 (Thursday), 7:00-9:00 pm at our regular meeting site (Peoples Presbyterian Church, 210 Smith St, Milan, MI 48160) June 20 (Thursday), 7:00-9:00 pm at our regular meeting site (Peoples Presbyterian Church, 210 Smith St, Milan, MI 48160) July 14 (Sunday), 2:00-4:00 pm at Ypsilanti District Library Community Room, 5577 Whittaker Rd, Ypsilanti, MI 48197.
Fill out the poll correctly before the deadline.[Polls are now closed.]
What is the poll? The poll lists each set of candidates and asks you to rank them on a scale of 1-5, based on how well you feel each candidate would represent the Crown and the Barony. You will not be asked to directly compare candidates or “vote” for one set over others. Their Majesties will select the next Baroness(es)/Baron(s) using the information gathered in the poll. According to SCA and Midrealm law, the Crown’s choice “must not be substantially opposed by the populace of the barony.”
Who can fill out a poll? If you participate in Cynnabar activities, we consider you a member of Cynnabar and encourage you to fill out a poll, regardless of whether you are a paid member and no matter where you live. However, there are separate polls for paid SCA members who live within Cynnabar's ZIP codes and for everyone else. These polls are tallied separately. It is especially important for you to fill out a poll if you are a paid member within the Barony's ZIP codes, since the results may be rejected if not enough member polls are returned.
Do I live in Cynnabar? Cynnabar’s ZIP codes include: 48103-48111, 48113, 48115, 48118, 48130-48131, 48144, 48458-48160, 48167-48168, 48170, 48175-48176, 48187-48191, 48197-48198, 48374-48375, 49267, 49270. You can also search your ZIP code using the Midrealm ZIP code search function. To do so, go to the Midrealm Services Portal. In the sidebar, select the down arrow next to "Groups"; then select "Find a group by ZIP".
How do I fill out the poll? There will be two Google poll links that will be published. The Baronial seneschal will announce where to find these links through meetings, social media, mailing lists, and group websites. IMPORTANT: The poll will not be mailed to you! A polling period will be announced, and you must complete the poll during that time. It is very important that you use the correct poll (Member vs. Non-Member) and that you follow all directions. If your poll contains incorrect information -- or if you fill out the poll more than once -- your poll will be invalid.
Thank you for thinking seriously about serving the Barony as Baroness or Baron. If you are considering volunteering for this position, please do the following:
Read the information in the Information for Potential Candidates document. Submit your Letter of Intent to the Baronial Seneschal (Master Derian le Breton) by May 30, 2019. [Letters were due May 30.] Watch and listen for more instructions from the Baronial Seneschal. Information will be forthcoming about public Question & Answer sessions and other important tasks and deadlines.
If you would like more information about the Baronial Transition process, please contact Cynnabar's Seneschal, Master Derian le Breton (modernly known as Brian Ferguson).